Monday, February 12, 2007

"Faith"-ful Interview

DirectLink Dan had arranged for Ken, a partner of Starch & Rocher Solicitors, to call me at my lunch hour today. For an interview. Oooh.

My cell didn't ring until a quarter-past 12, though. Of course, it rang while I had just heated my lunch in the microwave and my fork poised above my dish in readiness to "dig in". Just my luck.

Despite the audible growling protests of my stomach, I answered my cell.

"Hello Tia. My name is Ken. I've had a quick glance over your very impressive CV, and was wondering if you had a couple of minutes to spare, to speak to me about the position that was advertised through DirectLink?"

Wow. He said my CV was very impressive. Not just impressive, mind you. VERY impressive. Double OoOoOo!!

I told Ken that I was free to speak to him, and he proceeded to ask me the usual "interview-y" questions.

Ten minutes into the interview, Ken cleared his throat and said, "Now umm. I don't know how to phrase this next question, so I'll just shoot. How do you think you would fit into our office environment, given that most of our clients are non-for-profit organisations, and particularly church organisations?"

Very nicely phrased. Not as much stuttering as Dan. Almost the same level of uncomfortableness, though.

I told Ken what I told Dan a few days ago. That I was raised as a Catholic, and had no problems working for faith-based organisations. That I go to church every Sunday.

Ken sounded impressed.

The questions petered out, and after another ten minutes, Ken told me that he was due to interview another candidate later in the week. I was told not to expect an answer about the position until early next week.

Oh well, I'm not fussy. As long as it doesn't take 2 months. *Ahem*.

After hanging up the phone with Ken, I bounded back to the lunchroom and eagerly picked up my fork to finish what I'd started 20 minutes ago.

Funny how hunger makes food taste 10 times better.

No comments: