Tuesday, February 13, 2007

One Down, Five To Go...

Gary wrote me an e-mail today, chasing the progress of the files that he so generously passed to me late last week.

Truth to tell, I had only looked over two of the files. I didn't have time to do much else (I mean, it's not like I don't already have 97 files to my name already, you know?).

But I don't think Gary understood that.

I went to Gary's office to explain the situation to him, but he wasn't around. So I buried myself in my work.

At 3.00pm, I received the following e-mail from Gary:

Tia, I asked you to see me about those files. I haven't heard from you. What's going on?

My first thought was - You've got to be joking, right? Followed immediately by - I tried to see you already, but you weren't around! You were probably off at the gym while I was looking for you.

I should explain. Gary is the managing partner of the firm. He's still technically a solicitor because his practising certificate is up to date. However, he hasn't practised law in almost 15 years. He can give very general legal advice, but his legal knowledge isn't crash hot. So you might be wondering why he's a partner? (Don't worry, I did too, for a while).

In actual fact, the firm benefits from his social and people skills & not his ability to practise the law - that is, he brings in a lot of clients (in other words, he's good at sucking up to people).

I haven't seen Gary do any work since I commenced employment at the firm. I mean, he sits at his desk all day and if he's not drawing pictures on his notepad, he's reading the newspaper looking for tide times (he's an avid fishing fan) or he's eating some kind of smelly sandwich. He is also known to take 2 hours of the working day to go to the gym or pick up a bucketload of shrimp from the fish shop located 40 minutes away.

Usually he's an easy-going kind of guy, but sometimes Gary can be a real pain in the arse.

Today was one of those days.

Because Gary hasn't been "in the game" for a long time, I think he finds it hard to sympathise with the workload that the young lawyers often have to wade through. When I try to tell him how busy I am, he would brush it off by saying, "No one's busy. It's all in the mind."

Anyway, as soon as I received Gary's e-mail, I marched straight over to his office. He was sitting comfortably in his padded chair, picking at a tuna sandwich. Not a hint of stress on his face.

As I walked into the room, the smell of the tuna overwhelmed me.

"I went to your office this morning but you weren't around. I've only looked over 2 of the files you gave me because I had other urgent stuff to do." I finished the sentence with my eyebrows raised, as if to say "You got a problem with that?!"

Gary looked up at me and leaned back in his chair, tuna sandwich in hand.

"I did say that some of those files were urgent, Tia. So you're telling me that you've only looked at 2 of them? Which ones?"

AGGGHHH you lazy prick! Maybe you could start running your own files, instead of palming work off to other people!

"Starn and Gavey. I know you said that Gavey was urgent, but I had other files that required more urgent attention. I've just finished Gavey today, and I'm due to see Jerry about the file before I send out my advice to the client."

Jerry is a commercial partner at the firm. Besides Roland, the senior partner, Jerry would have to be the most sought-after lawyer in town.

Both Roland and Jerry possessed the same analytical skills, sense of humour (although Roland, being the older partner, could come up with a few dry jokes at times - fondly known as "dad jokes" or "old people jokes") and they both knew how to handle clients.

Being a young lawyer, I find it hard to deal with extremely sensitive or irrational (ie, not-so-bright) clients. Sometimes I feel that clients don't take me seriously because I'm so young. (Well, if you consider 24 as being young).

But one word from Roland or Jerry, and even the most irrational of clients would just keep their mouth shut and abide by the advice given to them. I wish I could have the same impact with my clients.

The only difference between Roland and Jerry, is that Roland is an academic. He thinks and talks like an academic, throwing precise case names and sections of legislation into a normal conversation. An absolutely brilliant man, Roland knows the law back to front, inside and out. Whenever there's an issue that couldn't be solved, the person to call upon would be Roland. This is because he thinks on a theoretical as well as a practical level.

Even Jerry, with his vast intelligence, would seek Roland's advice before proceeding to run an "egg-shell" matter. [Terminology lesson 1: "Egg-shell matter" means a very complicated or extremely risky case. Usually, the firm only takes "egg-shell matters" if the client is a major client who has the money to pay the account at the end of the day].

The only downside, of course, is that because Roland knows so much about everything, he would take at least 3 hours to explain everything to you, if you asked him a question. Which is great, if you had the time. But from a practical point of view, if you wanted a question to be answered, and answered fast, you asked Jerry.

After explaining my reasons for wanting to speak to Jerry about the Gavey file, Gary lost interest. He gulped down the remains of his tuna sandwich and dismissed me by turning his attention to his notepad.

I left Gary's office and went straight to Jerry's. He was on the phone when I knocked on his door, so I waited patiently with the Gavey file tucked under my arm. Once Jerry had finished with the call, the phone immediately rang again. See what I mean by being one of the most sought-after lawyers in town?

After about 15 minutes, Jerry hung up the phone and deliberately kept the receiver off the hook.

"Hi Tia, what's up?"

Jerry's such a cool guy. He has dark brown hair with generous flecks of grey, and his deep but soft voice resonates throughout a room whenever he speaks.

"Hey Jerry. Gary wants me to action this Gavey file ASAP, but I know you wanted to see my letter of advice before it went out. Can you please look at my letter now so that I can send it off?"

Jerry motioned for me to take the seat opposite him, and he read over my advice letter carefully. Giving me the "ok" a few minutes later, I left Jerry's office to arrange for postage of the letter.

Gavey file finished. Only 5 others to go.

Can't wait til Friday. I'll definitely be hitting the pub after work.

No comments: