Friday, February 02, 2007

Where's the faith?

After almost 7 weeks of "Dan-drought", my phone rang at work.

"Hey Tia, it's Dan. I know it's been a while..."

Errrrr. Really? It's been 6 weeks and 3 days, to be exact. Not that I was counting. *Cough*.

"Hey you! Thought you'd dropped off the face of the planet. I'm guessing I didn't bag that job, hey?"

I just couldn't hide the dripping sarcasm in my voice.

"Oh. Yeah, the partners of that firm decided to hire someone with a little bit more experience. It dragged on for a while, didn't it?"

Not at all. Only 4 weeks and 5 days.

"Yeah, I sort of figured that I didn't get the job coz I haven't heard from you until now."

Blunt and straight to the point. Well done, Tia. Show him who's boss.

"Uhhmm. Yeah. Anyway, the reason for my call is because I've just been briefed on a new role that I think you would be interested in..."

Dan proceeded to tell me about a small suburban firm who was looking to employ a commercial property solicitor with the same kind of skills and experience that I possessed. It sounded great until he said there was a catch...

"Ok so.. this is kind of uncomfortable for me to ask.. but.. the partners of that firm require a person of.. umm.. how do I put it..? Someone with.. faith."

Faith? I've got faith. I believe in a lot of stuff.

"What do you mean, Dan?"

I could tell he was really uncomfortable. I could picture him squirming in his seat as he said:

"Well.. you know? Faith. Umm. Are you religious?"

I would've laughed out loud if I hadn't sensed how uncomfortable he was.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that. I go to church every Sunday, if that's what you're measuring by. And I pray every night. I'm a Catholic. Why?"

I heard him sigh with relief before he replied, "The firm does a lot of work for non-for-profit organisations. More particularly, a lot of church organisations. The partners want to hire someone who can empathise with their clients and their clients' beliefs."

Ok fair enough. Although I could understand why they would want to hire someone "of faith", it still struck as a little bit strange at the same time.

Oh well. I guess we'll see how I go this time around.

No comments: