Tuesday, November 14, 2006

#1C. And the phone rings...

In the middle of my most busiest day, DirectLink Recruitment Dan called me.

"Tia, I just wanted to let you know that I spoke to Michael this morning. He was wondering when you'd be available to come to the city so that all the partners of the firm can meet you."

I had two settlements to worry about, plus I had clients waiting in reception for me. Agggh! I didn't have time...

"Hey Dan. Ummm I'm really sorry but I'm kind of tied up at the moment. Is it ok if I call you back in about 20 minutes?"

I shuffled through papers. What was the reason for the clients coming into the office again? Yikes! Think, Tia, think!

"Sure Tia. Do you need to write my number down?"

Oh that's right! The clients needed to update their Wills!

"Errm. No it's ok. I've got it on my cell - on speed dial, actually."

Yikes, did I really say that? He didn't need to know that....! Think before you speak!

"Ok no worries. I'll wait to hear from you then."

The afternoon dragged on.

I saw my clients about updating their Wills. Small chit chat. Then I walked them outside to reception. Lo and behold, another two clients were waiting in reception for me - they were "just in the neighbourhood" and decided to "drop by" to see how their matter was progressing.

Nobody makes appointments anymore *sigh*.

Two hours and sixteen minutes (and several "urgent" phone calls) later, I finally had the time to breathe.

I dialled Dan's number.

"Hey Dan, it's Tia. Sorry it took me a while to return your call. I can only go to the city on a weekend - I can't take any time off at the moment because of my workload. So unless the partners want to get together on the weekend..."

I let my voice trail off. Oh please, please, please let them meet me on a weekend! I didn't want to have to ask for time off.

"The partners are quite prepared to meet you on a weekend, Tia. If you can tell me which weekend you'd be available, I can arrange the rest."

NO #$%*@#+ WAY!!

Sound professional, now. Don't act like you're excited.

"I could probably make it on the 1st of next month. But it would depend on the flight availability, etc."

OooOo. Playing hard to get... of sorts.

"Alright. Well, I'll let the partners know. Can you call me tomorrow to confirm?"

Doing a mini-victory dance. Yup uh huh.

"Definitely. I'll talk to you tomorrow then. Thanks for your call, Dan."

I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day.

Should I start looking at flight prices?

Hmmm. Maybe after I finished my victory dance.

No comments: