Saturday, November 18, 2006

#1D. And it's a date!

One of my colleagues went on holidays for a week, and her workload got dumped on me. Surprise, surprise.

My assistant then decided to take some "time off" during the same week, and even the office support staff were all suspiciously "sick" at the same time. Funny how an office of 40 people could dwindle to a skeletal 8 person-team.

On the verge of a screaming fit, DirectLink Recruitment Dan phoned me. He told me that the partners of the city firm were willing to meet with me on Saturday, the 2nd of December for a face-to-face interview.

FINALLY! Some good news!

Dan DID tell me that it was the firm's Christmas party on the 1st of December, and he warned me that the partners could be feeling the repercussions of the party while interviewing me.

Gee this firm sounded great already!!

After speaking with Dan, the hours flew by. Before I knew it, it was already five o'clock. Normally I would stay back to finish off any loose ends, but tonight was different - I had a social event to attend. Not only that, it was a free social event. Ahhh I love free...!

My current firm was trying to "schmooze" some commercial work from the local accountants down the road. The partners decided to hold a fancy drinks night (+ stylish nibblies) to "network" some connections with the accountants. The function was to be held at the balcony of our heritage-listed work building, with waitresses doing the rounds and offering delectable finger munchies from shiny silver trays.

I arranged to have my car left at home so I could drink "reasonable" amounts of free alcohol at the function.

I must say - "schmoozing" accountants for work wasn't as bad as I had imagined. The accountants knew the firm's ulterior motives, but I think they enjoyed being "schmoozed" - what with the free alcohol and all. Oh and don't forget the shiny silver trays full of yummies.

My friend and I got working on the alcohol. We made "power chandies" - a concoction of champagne and vodka cruisers - and once the two bottles of champagne ran out, we hit the vodka.

The firm's partners, commercial clerks and conveyancers were hitting the drinks quite hard too. Glad it wasn't just me and my mate.

One of our conveyancers obviously had too much to drink - she asked "Dull Fred" (a pet name for Freddie D, one of the most boring accountants on the planet) if he was coming out to the clubs after the function. Dull Fred (surprise, surprise) told drunk conveyancer that he wasn't going to go out, to which drunk conveyancer replied, "What are you going to do at home, Fred? Collect stamps?"

*Silence*.

You could hear the clocks ticking in the background, and the waitresses' steps on the balcony floor. An odd cough here and there.

*More silence*.

Then one of the other accountants started laughing. Loudly. And then everyone else (who held back their laughter) let loose. Poor Dull Fred. He couldn't help it if he was born boring.

The function ended at around 7.30pm, but I stayed back with a few other people to finish off the alcohol.

Then we all went out to the clubs for a bit. After about 20 minutes, I started feeling sick and dizzy, so I did the classic "Cinderella" exit and ran out of the club with my hands over my mouth. Luckily I got home before I made a mess of myself.

Kneeling by the bathroom sink, I suddenly remembered why I stopped drinking hard in the first place.

Note to self: Power Chandies are not my friend.

No comments: