Monday, November 27, 2006

#1E. Uh oh....

With Christmas looming nearby, the work started pouring through the door.

I didn't have time to look up from my computer screen, let alone answer my calls.

So after working hard the whole week, I bolted out the door at 5.00pm on the dot come Friday. I needed a break from work. Plus, I was really looking forward to the weekend.

I went home to clean my apartment and then at 8.00pm, I picked up my friend, Vesna, from the airport. Ves and I headed out to the local pub for a drink. A couple of my work colleagues were also out, so Ves and I hung around them for a while before deciding to call it quits. Ves and I had planned for an early start for Saturday morning. You see, we were due to start our five hour "road trip" to the coast on Saturday, where we had booked to stay at a posh hotel for the weekend. I was really excited.

On Saturday, the five hour trip went without a hitch - although we did get a bit lost halfway to our destination. Nevertheless, we managed to arrive in one piece, and we booked into our hotel with the enthusiasm of a five-year-old on Christmas day.

Ves and I unpacked our things once we arrived in our room, and (of course) we checked out all the freebies in all the nooks and crannies of the hotel room. Bonus! - we found free cookies and a manicure kit. Did I mention I loved free?

We then went for a walk around the beach, and discovered a small agency that booked sailing tours of the nearby islands. Giggling with delight, Ves and I booked a sailing trip for the next day.

We woke up early (nearly ripping each other to bits when we couldn't agree who would take a shower first!), and waited outside the hotel reception for the courtesy bus to pick us up and take us to the tour boat. It wasn't long before Ves and I stepped onto the boat.

The vessel itself was quite large, and it comfortably accommodated 80 people. The crew allowed us to lay down on the front deck whilst waiting to arrive at our first exotic island destination. Not surprisingly, with the soothing lull of the boat engine and the wind on my cheeks, I quickly fell asleep.

When I woke up, I realized three things:

  • The time was 11.45am - four hours after I had fallen asleep;
  • I forgot to put on sunscreen; and
  • My face felt funny.

I'd never been sunburnt before, so I didn't know the "funny feeling" that I was experiencing was actually the tingling sensation of sun-exposed skin.

Ignoring the new sensations, I was determined to enjoy the rest of the tour. We eventually arrived at the first island (twenty minutes after I woke up - that was a long trip!), where we were allowed to disembark the boat and take a short swim in the surrounding cool green waters of the stunningly-bleached-white sands of Whitehaven Island.

After about an hour or so, we were taken to a nearby island, where we were given the chance to go snorkelling. I must admit, at this point, that I'm not quite fond of swimming (weird, I know) but I had never been snorkelling before, so it was important that I give it a try. I hyper-ventilated for 15 minutes before I calmed myself down enough to enjoy the experience.


At the end of the day, Ves and I headed back to our hotel room to relax before getting ourselves some dinner. It was then that I first had a good look at my sunburnt face....

I had an awful sun-glasses tan. It was VERY obvious that I wore "shield" sunnies to cover my eyes (I say "shield" because they're quite large glasses). No make up could disguise the tan, and I was quite distraught.

When I went back to work, I invented new hairstyles to cover my face. My eyes were kept downcast, and I avoided speaking with anyone. I was sooo paranoid!

I just hoped the sunburn and tan would clear up in time for my interview.

Cross fingers.


No comments: